Large Distressed Pattern Block Plaque
I have a large hook shelf in the entry of my house. I absolutely love it, but it needs something to anchor it, so awhile back I made a quick distressed board out of a 2 foot x 2 foot piece of plywood, some paint and a stencil. I thought it was really cute, until I repainted my walls the same color as the piece and suddenly it was lost, so, enter the need to remake the board into something that will pop a little more against the gray walls. I decided to use several patterns this time around and some lighter colors.
This is what I started with. Cute, but no longer working with my new wall color.
I painted the whole board over with white, I wasn't too worried about getting great coverage, because I was going to distress it later.
I created three rows of stencils on my vinyl cutter. Most of the patterns are from the dingbat font called Peoni Patterns. They are so cute. I made each of the blocks about 7.3" square. Then I marked the board and applied the stencils to my board where marked. (At this point I was thinking this looks pretty nice with the dark background, and white patterns, but I reminded myself that the furniture and carpet in that room are pretty dark, so I want something a little lighter to brighten up the room.)
I painted over the stencils with a light china blue color and let dry for a few minutes.
You could skip the final distressing step, but I always seem to have a few spots where the paint has bled under the stencil, and I have a few smudges and scrapes from removing the vinyl, so the distressing helps remove those things, or at least makes them look intentional.
So, for minimal time and money, I have a fun new piece for my beloved hook shelf. Totally happy!!
Linking up with: